25 October 2013

TGIF / 35

Friends, Romans, Countrymen --- lend me your ears! If you're an avid Mel Brooks fan (like myself) then you'll know exactly how to finish that quip.

It's been a busy few weeks of working, reading and starting up my own Baltimore-based book club called "Pulp Fiction." We decided on The Hunger Games as our first group read mainly so that we can use it as an excuse to see Catching Fire together, next month. I'm listening to the audio version of the series this time and am loving it as much as I did when I first read it. Some other reads I've completed over the last few weeks are: The Dream Thieves (review coming soon), Beautiful Bastard and Legend. And to get in the Halloween spirit, I discussed my experiences with hauntings and ghosts. That's pretty much it for me so I'll leave you to it!

Bookish News
NPR urges us to read smarter lady books, like the one from the gals at Jezebel.
This is your genre guide for teen horror.
Is indie publishing right for you?
Allegiant was released this week. EW rates it a B+ and Buzzfeed interviews Veronica Roth about the popular series. But apparently not everyone was thrilled about the ending, which begs the question, do authors owe readers anything?
Here's to having a very bookish Halloween.
Jamie asks if it's normal to change your ratings of previously read books over time?

Entertainment News
Jurassic World already has a cast that includes Bryce Dallas Howard, Ty Simpkins, and Nick Robinson. Here's to hoping Josh Brolin gets on board too.
Exloring a decade of The Walking Dead in this documentary, The Walking Dead: A Decade of Dead.
Drew Barrymore's first horror flick, Animal, is sure to be a scream.
Groundbreaking films that are changing the way we watch movies.
In case you're a little fuzzy, this is where we stand when Catching Fire begins.
There are some supporting characters that just steal the show. Find out who my favourites are here.
Beetlejuice 2? If Tim Burton directs it then count me in!
 
Pop Culture!
Just doing what I can to shatter your image of horror movies. It sucks, I know. At least you can still have a horror movie themed engagement photo shoot. See, there's always an up side.
Batdad is back in episode 3.
I need to procure my own TMNT backpack. THERE ARE WEAPONS INSIDE! Or maybe these footie pajamas. I CAN'T DECIDE! Either way, if/when I have a kid, they are totally going as a baby ninja turtle for Halloween.
And speaking of Halloween, here are some Disney princesses wearing popular Halloween costumes, part 1 and part 2 for your viewing pleasure.
And speaking of Disney princesses, Call of Duty meets these royal ladies in this awesome new web series.

8 comments:

  1. Fascinating and a bit horrifying to know EW rated Allegiant a B+. I actually think the spoilery bit is the part that seems most interesting, but I'd still flunk the book for writing and world building, I'm fairly certain. Remind me not to trust EW. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually take their ratings with a grain of salt, Christina. I haven't read Allegiant yet (but I'm about to). Were you a fan of the first two books in the series?

      Delete
  2. Love the name Pulp Fiction for your book club! I wish I could join!
    Nice set of web links as always, love the bookish Halloween pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks! I loved the double entendre with the name and I do wish you were a part of the club too!

      Delete
  3. Your book club sounds great, and I love the idea of going to the movies together as well!

    Those book-themed pumpkins are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had some remote talent when it comes to pumpkin carving because I'd love to recreate many of those bookish pumpkins! And I am very excited about our movie field trip --- I venture I'll probably see Catching Fire at least once or twice prior to going with the club (only to prepare myself for the tears!).

      Delete
  4. I love the bookish pumpkins!
    Baby Ninja Turtle = Love!

    I can never tell you enough how much I love these posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can never hear that enough either! :)

      Delete

You stay classy now! And thanks for stopping by. But mostly stay classy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...