27 November 2012

Book Review: Every Day by David Levithan

Title: Every Day
Author(s): David Levithan
Genre(s): Contemporary, Young Adult
Publisher/Date: Knopf Books for Young Readers /  August 28, 2012
Series: Stand Alone

"I am a drifter, and as lonely as that can be, it is also remarkably freeing. I will never define myself in terms of anyone else. I will never feel the pressure of peers or the burden of parental expectation. I can view everyone as pieces of a whole, and focus on the whole, not the pieces. I have learned how to observe, far better than most people observe. I am not blinded by the past or motivated by the future. I focus on the present, because that's where I am destined to live."
Case Study
Can we talk theoretically for a minute? Let's just say you strip away all of your physical attributes--gender, hair colour, race, eye colour, stature--what is left to define you as being uniquely you? Pretty deep stuff to think about, right? Well, not for A because every day A wakes up as someone new, so it can't be the body that defines him/her. Neither male nor female, A is a being unto itself, a being that still knows who he/she is despite waking up as a different person every morning. There is no rhyme or reason for why A wakes up like this every day. This is just A's life, this is how it's always been. There is only acceptance. So for a full 24 hours, A has the chance to make a difference in this unsuspecting person's world or play it out with minimal interference, which is what A usually does. That is, until he/she wakes up as Justin and makes a surprisingly real connection to his girlfriend, Rhiannon. Can their love transcend beyond the body or will they get hung up in the challenges of every new day?

The Game's Afoot
OMG, you guys. OMG. If you don't go out and buy this book and read it this very minute, you're really missing out! So stop whatever it is you're doing and just get a copy. I don't care if you have to maim, steal or push the little girl out of line at the library to acquire a copy. Just do it! TRUST ME!

Every Day was my first foray into David Levithan's writing and I was completely blown away. This review was really difficult to write because I have so many thoughts about this book that I can't quite put it into words. David read a small segment at the BookFest and the concept was so unique and outside-the-box that I knew I had to pick up a copy of my own. My only regret is that I didn't read it sooner. Every Day was LIFE-CHANGING. Seriously, this is one of those stories that flips the script and has you questioning ALL THE THINGS! Levithan will open your mind and change the way you think about life, love and your own individuality and it's not often that I've come across a story that does that.

One of the things I loved most about Every Day was that A inhabits so many different people, it makes each chapter act like a sneak peek into that individual's personal world so the story never gets stale. We're shown a new life every single day. Boy, girl, gay, straight, black, white, Levithan isn't shy in going for it all. He's absolutely brilliant in making each of those lives so uniquely different and yet somehow he still manages to keep A's distinctive tone of voice. That's the sign of a seasoned writer. And, A, wow! What a character! Despite the bewildering circumstances of A's unusual life, A always manages to stay true to him/herself. A really knows who he/she is and that is a sign of strength. I was 100% invested in A's journey and wanted to know more. From page one, you don't even question the mechanics behind this bizarre body-snatching, and like A, you just accept it because it is what it is.

Every Day is one of those timeless stories that really resonates with you long after you've put it down. It challenges your perceptions of people and the way the world works. It fills you with hope, joy and sympathy. It will make you look deep inside yourself and question your own convictions; make you want to be a better and stronger person for both yourself and others. Levithan's writing is nothing short of imaginative and chalk full of beautiful, charming and oh-so-quote-worthy prose. In just one sitting, my book has become super well-worn with all the memorable passages I've marked. I could sing praises for this book all night long but really you're doing a disservice if you don't pick it up and devour it for yourself. It truly defies genre and you can trust I will recommend it to EVERYONE!

Summary Prognosis
In terms of profound moments, I had mine when I picked up Every Day. This book is, by far, my favourite read of 2012 in a sea of very strong contenders. Levithan tells such a touching, heartfelt tale and I don't think anything I can say will prepare you for just how much it will change the way you look at the world. And bonus points go to David for such a winning, original concept! So, what are you still doing here? Go read it. Now!


Rating: ★★★★★


Read It: AmazonBarnes & Noble | Audible
Discuss It: Goodreads | Author's Website

7 comments:

  1. You got to see David Levithan read an excerpt?
    AH! I LOVE HIM! So. Much. His writing is just perfect. I love how he styles sentences - simply delicious.
    I haven't read this particular one though - but I've heard great things about it, and the awesomeness of the premise is undeniable. It just makes me love him more *SIGH* Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and it was my first experience with Levithan and his writing. He just has a way of evoking such emotion from a reader with his gorgeous prose. Seriously, every page had something completely memorable and/or quote-worthy. I will most certianly be buying more of his books after reading Every Day. So. Good.

      Delete
  2. Oooh I've been wanting to read this for awhile, so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! I think it's definitely worth putting down any other books you may have on your giant TBR shelf and just set aside some quality time to read it. Totally worth it, I promise you!

      Delete
  3. wow, Every Day sounds amazing, I'll have to grab a copy. Very cool that you got to hear the author read an excerpt. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Naida! This is one of those books that I'll be recommending to everyone. Seriously impactful and beautiful story.

      Delete
  4. nice review..i mean, i just finished reading it a few days ago and i cant seem to put into words my feelings about this wondeful book..and here you are, describing every single thing i felt when i was reading it..thank you for a really nice review!
    ps.
    youre so lucky you got to meet the author! wanna meet him too..he's now become my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete

You stay classy now! And thanks for stopping by. But mostly stay classy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...