30 October 2013

Audiobook Review: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Dream Thieves
Author(s): Maggie Stiefvater
Genre(s): Fantasy, Paranormal. Young Adult
Publisher/Date: Scholastic Press / September 17, 2013
Series: Raven Cycle (Book #2)
"“His eyes were frighteningly alive, the curve of his mouth savage and pleased. It suddenly didn't seem at all surprising that he should be able to pull things from his dreams. In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them. Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness. Her raven boys.” -Blue Sargent
Warning: This review may contain spoilers concerning The Raven Boys.

Case Study
Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after... (synopsis from Goodreads)

The Game's Afoot

Magic is real. Or so The Dream Thieves would lead you to believe.


If there's one thing Stiefvater excels in, it's writing a story that makes the magic in it feel completely possible---one where dreams are real, ley lines are woken and sleeping kings can be found.

And this is why I love this series. Because there's whimsy surrounding everything in it, even if it is a little dark. With each turn of the page, we're driven deeper into the quest that ensnares Blue and her Aglionby boys. The story Stiefvater tells is one that's wrought with emotion and depth. She weaves this complex net of backstory with so many unexpected twists and turns. There's not a predictable moment in sight. Even the things you think you know are coming, still come as a surprise. She is masterful at creating atmosphere. Every page is rich with intricate detail and the deeper you go down the rabbit hole, the more entangled you become. I am trapped in this world in Henrietta and I never want to leave.

But as much as I love the world Stiefvater built, I love the characters even more. Each one is tragically beautiful in their own way. They are truly one-of-a-kind, and not in the trying too hard to be one-of-a-kind either. They are naturally, effortlessly unique which just adds to the haunting atmosphere. Even Henrietta is a character in and of itself. Blue is quirky. Gansey, the old soul. Adam, the troubled nice boy. Noah is a little less smudgey and a whole lot more. And then there's Ronan. The dream thief. I love angry, onry Ronan and am pleased that we get to see exactly why he is the way he is. We're also introduced to a slew of new folks in The Dream Thieves, Mr. Gray being my favourite among them. He's calculating and clinical and never loses his sense of self, despite the revelations that come to him. There are so many reasons to love each and every one of these characters, including the horrifically intriguing Kavinsky. Like Blue with her Raven Boys, with each passing page, I fall a little bit more in love with them.

Where I'd say The Raven Boys was in large part a legendary journey, The Dream Thieves is much more a book of discovery. We discover who and what Ronan is. We discover the changes that have occurred to the group at large after waking the ley line. We discover new parts of and people in Henrietta. We discover a whole new world, a world of nightmares. We discover what first kisses feel like and we discover what dreams are really made of. Everything in Henrietta has irrevocably changed since Book #1 and I can't wait to see where the journey takes us. Even though there are still so many unanswered questions by the end of this book, there's one thing I am absolutely certain of:

 Magic is real.

Summary Prognosis
I didn't think it was possible but The Dream Thieves far surpassed my already high expectations. I don't hesitate when I say it's even better than its predecessor, The Raven BoysThe Dream Thieves is a magical yet beautifully tragic story woven together with a thread of engaging characters and hauntingly beautiful prose. You peel back the layers to find surprsing depth and detail. It's one of those rare stories that captures your heart and your spirit all while avoiding a lot of popular YA clichés. I highly recommend checking out the audio version if you can---Will Patton's brilliant narration only enhances the brilliance of this imaginative, wonderful world that Stiefvater created.


Rating: ★★★★★


Read It: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible
Discuss It: Goodreads | Author's Website

9 comments:

  1. I thought Dream Thieves was even better than Raven Boys, too! And absolutely agree, as great as the plot is, it's the characters that I find most compelling. :) So glad you loved it! And hey, there's me up there loving it, too. :D

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to get to know Ronan a little better in this book and it was also nice to see Gansey's composure crack a little.

      Ha, well so it is. Clearly I was thinking of you when writing this review! ;)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I still haven't been able to fit in The Raven Boys. I have a copy! I'm trying to catch up on my review schedule, and these will be two of the first books I read as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! Trust me on this one, Tammy. You won't regret it.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a great series. I like that its whimsical, yet dark. Those do sound like some great characters. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Naida! I'd recommend this series to just about anyone!

      Delete
  4. I am about to pick up the audiobook from the library!! I cannot wait to start it. Maggie Stievfater is one of my favorite authors :) I am excited to hear you enjoyed it more than the first one.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, yes! You're going to LOVE it! As much as I loved the book, the audiobook was MAGICAL!

      Delete
  5. Just as good, if not better, than the first one. Loved the story and characters and everything just gets more complex and better.
    Highly recommended Alaska Brown Bear Hunts brooks range

    ReplyDelete

You stay classy now! And thanks for stopping by. But mostly stay classy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...