29 October 2012

Movie Round-Up: Halloween Edition (Part 1)

It's absurd just how much joy I get from making lists. Seriously, it's an obsession and an art. But my love for Halloween tops even my love for listography. It's my favourite holiday in the bunch (and not just because of the candy!). I love the spirited mood, costumes and most of all... the movies. Since Halloween is a mere 2 days away I thought it would be fun to give you my top Halloween movie recommendations to get you in the spooky spirit. This is the first in a two-part list.

Note: Now I know not all of you are into the whole horror thing so I've listed a few flicks that aren't so scary and also ones that are appropriate for trick or treaters of all ages.


Fright Night  (2011) - A remake of the 1985 classic, this tale tells the story of a boy who suspects his neighbor his a vampire. While the original was scary, this one borders on the verge of comedy--featuring the talents of Mc'Lovin, Colin Farrell and David Tennant. Also, look for a surprise cameo from a particular warthog-faced buffoon (he was in the original).


Trick r' Treat (2007) - The ideal Halloween flick that follows four different intersecting stories-- a college virgin has met the "perfect" guy; a high school principal is secretly a serial killer; a wife learns to get into the holiday spirit from her obsessed husband; a group of teens pulls a terrible prank. Not the most deep story but still fun to watch, nonetheless!


The Mist (2007) - A group of people from a small town are trapped in a grocery store as a fog filled with bloodthirsty monsters surrounds them. Definitely one of the more frightening additions to my list, the ending is not for the faint of heart. I don't think I've ever been so shocked in my life. For reals.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - Yes, it's a musical but it's wacky, zany, weird, creepy and a total cult classic! I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy the antics of Dr. Frank-N-Furter. It's an all star cast featuring Tim Curry (in drag!), Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick and Meat Loaf. Yes, the Meat Loaf! It's even more fun if you can catch it in a local theatre--makes for great people-watching!
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) - I grew up with this British import and have fallen for the loveable duo. Cute, funny and not too scary, this installment sends our heroes Wallace and his faithful dog, Gromit, on a wild rabbit chase. They seek to find the monster plaguing their town which threatens their annual vegetable growing contest.
Dawn of the Dead (1978) - The undead have risen and amidst the plague, a group of survivors seeks refuge in a shopping mall. This is, perhaps, the most classic of zombie films. It doesn't get any better than George A. Romero, who practically invented and perfected zombie genre. Bonus Tidbit: the film is actually a social commentary on consumerism. Pretty cool! 


What do you think of my picks so far? Anything strike your fancy? Tune in tomorrow for Part 2 of my top Halloween flicks!

4 comments:

  1. The Mist is a fav, but I haven't seen the others. Being a zombie fan, I have to watch the original Dawn of the Dead, I've only seen the remake.
    Great list! Can't wait to see part 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm a HUGE George A. Romero fan and I did love the remakes, but there's nothing quite like the originals.

      Delete
  2. OMG, Fright Night is one of my favorite movies EVER. I don't think I've ever seen the original, so maybe I should catch up on that one! And Dawn of the Dead! Wow, gotta love that movie. It's so campy, but a classic. Great list! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch the original, it's great though I did love the remake more. Happy Halloween!

      Delete

You stay classy now! And thanks for stopping by. But mostly stay classy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...